Choosing the right garage door is essential to ensure your home is secure and well-protected from intruders. However, you also want to select a door that complements your home’s aesthetics. Knowing which is best for you can be challenging with so many options available.
Whether looking for something modern and sleek or a more traditional style, you must consider several factors. In this blog, we’ll explain the factors to consider when choosing the right garage door for your home in this blog.
Garage Door Considerations
Selecting a suitable material for your garage door is a crucial decision affecting its durability, security, and aesthetics. Various materials are available on the market today, each with unique benefits. From steel and wood to aluminum and fiberglass, there’s a material that can fit your needs perfectly.
The most popular choices today are:
- Wood: Wood garage doors offer a natural and traditional look. You can customize and paint or stain them to match your home’s style. Wood doors need regular maintenance. Also, they are susceptible to termites and rot.
- Steel: Steel garage doors are durable, and they require minimal maintenance. They are relatively cheap and available in various styles and colors. However, steel doors will rust and dent over time.
- Aluminum: Aluminum garage doors are light, low-maintenance, and rustproof. These garage doors are perfect for coastal areas, as they resist corrosion from salt air. They are less durable than steel, and they can dent more easily.
- Fibreglass garage doors are typically low-maintenance, durable, and resistant to warping and rotting. These doors are also ideal for coastal areas, as they resist corrosion from salt air. Fiberglass doors may not be as energy-efficient as other options.
Consider your home’s aesthetics and climate when choosing a garage door material. Budget is also important since some materials are more costly than others.
Consider insulation when choosing the right garage door for your home, especially if living areas are above or adjacent to your garage. Insulated garage doors can reduce energy costs by keeping the heat in during winter and out during summer. These doors are also soundproof, making them perfect for people who live in noisy areas or work from home. Investing in an insulated garage door can save money and provide a more comfortable environment.
To get the most out of your garage’s insulation, you need to know what insulation types are available and their functions. If you are looking for an insulated garage door, look for one with a high R-value, which measures its insulation properties. The higher the R-value, the better the insulation.
Your home’s garage door should be attractive, durable, and functional. It is crucial to consider the design of your garage door to ensure that it looks good and meets your needs. You can choose from a variety of designs, including modern and traditional.
- Traditional (or Raised Panel): These doors are similar to the design of a standard front door and are available in wood, aluminum, and steel. Depending on your preference, they can be ordered with or without a window. These doors are an excellent option for homes with a traditional or classic architectural style.
- Carriage House: These garage doors mimic the appearance of traditional carriage houses, with a design that resembles swinging doors. The materials, styles, and design are similar to standard garage doors. Choose this option for homes with a rustic or historic aesthetic.
- Contemporary: Contemporary garages feature a sleek and modern design. These garage doors are available in a variety of materials, such as glass and aluminum, and they can be minimalistic or geometric. These doors compliment homes with a minimalist or modern architectural style.
Your garage’s style and design should match your home’s or neighborhood’s aesthetics. To ensure you choose the right garage door, consider your home’s architectural style and surrounding area.
When choosing the right garage door for your house, consider the price. Many factors impact the final cost, including the type of material, size, and whether or not installation is included.
Prices for garage doors can vary significantly depending on the design, insulation level, and other features. Compare prices between manufacturers and do your research to ensure that you are making a wise investment. Garage doors should last at least ten years; some can last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance.
You should also consider the security features of a garage door. Look for an emergency release that can be activated from the inside. Also, consider durable steel framing and reinforced frame edges. Lastly, ensure the garage door is equipped with safety sensors that monitor the movement underneath the door to help prevent accidents and intrusions while keeping your family secure.
Size & Dimensions
The size and dimensions are two things you must add to your garage door checklist. You need a wide and tall garage door that can accommodate vehicles, tools (e.g., lawn mower, leaf blower), and other items you want to store in the area.
Homeowners choose single or double car doors depending on how many vehicles they own. Need help determining the best size? Ask for advice from a professional. They can provide the measurements needed and offer suggestions based on your input.
Supplier & Installer
Choosing the right installer and supplier for your garage door is vital to get the best product for your home. Find a supplier that understands your needs, can deliver quality products, and has the installers with experience to install these correctly.
You can do your research online or by asking for referrals. Be sure to deal with a team of experienced installers who can explain all the features and benefits. Before choosing a company, ask about the warranties, turnaround time, and cost.
For many homeowners, finding the best garage door is a top priority. Choosing a garage that suits your budget and addresses your wants and needs is essential. Consider the type of insulation, the level of security, and the installation method. The right style and opener provide a touch of luxury while protecting your space. When selecting a new garage door, take your time to ensure you find the perfect fit for your home.
Your Local Garage Door Experts
Locally-owned and –operated, Aiken Overhead Doors, Inc. (AOD) has provided outstanding service & installation in the garage door industry in the North Augusta area since 1980. Our number one goal is to ensure our customer is given the best product at the best price and service.
To learn more about our products and services or schedule an appointment, visit our website or call (803) 279-3859 today!